Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thoughts in a moleskin

Thursday, May 5, 2011

12:00 p.m.


Marieke and I back in the mosque, but this time there are no girls in it. The journalist in me wishes we pulled out the camera on Monday and interviewed them - we still don't have a head scarf girl. But at the same time, I'm happy we didn't. For so long, I've always said I really don't like hard news reporting. I hate just dropping in for 2 seconds and reporting that 2 seconds of someone's life and moving on. Yes, we still need a headscarf interview. Yes, we missed TV opportunities on Monday. But in that moment, we were girls learning from girls. We were sitting barefoot in a little mosque on a university campus on the Asian side of Istanbul. WE saw it. We witnessed something that not many people will ever see in their lives. We took the time to hear the story and deeply understand it. I will remember this. We're here for a reason...I am filled with a deep sense of calm that we will tell this story. The right people are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment