Friday, March 11, 2011

It's a small world afterall

DON'T DISMAY! It's a bloggity-blog time of day...I mean, night. What better time to blog than 1:30 a.m. on a Thursday, right?

I just came home from a night out of karaoke!

A few of us went to this place called "Sherlock Holmes" downtown, a lovely English bar with red bar stools. We sang the musical stylings of Bob Marley, No Doubt and Shania Twain, and of course blasted Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of our lungs. But there is a cooler story within this musical chapter of March 10, 2011.

In the middle of the evening, while I was standing by the bar, a guy buying drinks looked very familiar. After about 10 seconds, I realized where I knew him from.

If you return to one of my very first blog posts entitled "Vi har landet i Danmark," you will discover that the waiter who served my Dad and I on my very first night in Arhus was named Hans. WELL. It was HANS who was at this bar!!!

As soon as it clicked who he was, I tapped him on the arm,

"Excuse me, is your name Hans?"

"Yes!" he said.

And then, to my surprise, before I said anything else, he remembered me!!!

"Hey! How do you like Arhus?! How is school!?"

HA :) I told him I adjusted quite splendidly - (but maybe worded it a bit differently) - and that I've been to Berlin and Copenhagen since I last saw him! I told him that school is less intense than back home, but that I'm definitely enjoying it and keeping busy.

It was so crazy realizing that a lot of time had passed since I had been to Kaffe 67, in all it's ox bone marrow and fantastic cheese selection glory. Since last seeing Hans, I've settled into the Danish lifestyle, I've established a group of wicked international amigos, I've traveled outside the country, I've produced 2.5 TV broadcast stories, and I can even speak a tid bit of Dansk...

Hans recognized me tonight, but I'm a completely different person than I was when I first met him.

That - is COOL! :)

AND. What else is cool is that I'm going to Turkey from May 1 to 11 to shoot a documentary. AH HA!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought my ticket today, after overcoming a very bad case of cold feet.

AH, man. You know what, credit card? I'll make money when I'm old and boring. Now is the time to be in debt and live it up!

So really,

Don't speak - I know what you're thinking:
I'm just a poor girl, I need no sympathy,
because I'm easy come, easy go!
So no woman, no cry!
Cuz man, I feel like a woman.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, you would run into Hans. You're a journalism student in Denmark. It was meant to be. Of course, you would run into the waiter from your first meal in Denmark!! Delightful symmetry!!

    ReplyDelete